Sunday, September 25, 2011

Magnificent


The first thing I did after coming out of the stadium is that I cursed all the broadcasters of the cricket matches to the television.  What a delight it has been to watch a cricket match live at the cricket stadium.  Yes, the 2nd match of Champions League T20 tournament between New South Wales Blues and Cape Cobras held at Chepauk Stadium, Chennai on September 24, 2011 was the first match I ever watched live at a stadium.  I do not think many would agree to prefer watching a cricket match live at the stadium over watching it live on a television.  The reason they would quote is that one need not go to the stadium to watch a cricket match live when the huge amount of money is invested in broadcasting the match right to your homes and one can watch it comfortably at the coziness of their couches.  One can watch the player closely and with the advent of ultra motion technology, it is a real delight to watch how a batsman played that wonderful shot.  Instant replays, pre and post sessions and with Direct To Home technology one can even pause the live match and watch it anytime he wants to.

Whatever reason one has for prefering to watch a match live at home through the television screens, it is still the undeniable fact that your view is not your own view but what the broadcaster wants you to watch.  So what, one may ask, as long as I am able to interpret what the broadcaster telecasts, I do not mind watching anyone's view.  Well, I beg to differ here.  Entering through the Gate #8 at Chepauk Stadium, I was guided to the C Upper section through three sets of staircase.  What a view it was when I entered the C Upper section.  I could see the entire ground, greenish pasture surrounding the narrow strip in the middle (the pitch) with the whole ground lit up by the sun.  Unlike the television, my view was limited only by me and the view was bigger than what the television shows.  Even though the ball was not much visible as the sun was shining so bright, I could track the ball based on its trajectory.  However, during the second match, the ball was cleanly visible under the flood lights.  The most and usual audio audible in the television is the commentary but here, you need not hear those things.  The only sweet music that fills your ears are the cheers, the ooohhhs and the wows from the fans.  Its such a fun and delight to cheer for your team and you even get to see response from players.  And when a boundary is scored or a wicket is taken, there are hundreds and thousands to cheer with you and even anyone has come alone to watch the match will also mingle with others and enjoy in the celebration.  You will never get short of supporters whichever side you support.

I learnt this long back: the television always confines its view to a certain subject clearing off all the possible things that might distract the viewer away from the subject.  The more you watch it, the more you view is confined.  The close-up shots or trianglular shots are also confined to one part of the bigger picture.  One does not use their imagination while watching TV unlike when you read a story or a novel.  It actually cripples your creativity in thinking.  No, I am not trying to bring up the disadvantages of watching television.  I am trying to say that how delightful is to watch a cricket match in a stadium than watching it in a television.

There was no crowd for the first match but the house was full when the second match started.  The second match was between Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians.  I had gone with my office colleagues.  Since CSK was the homeside, Mumbai Indians has very less supporters and as usul my office colleagues were supporting CSK and as usual, yes, I supported Mumbai Indians.  Not that I am against CSK but it would be no fun when all support only one team.  Most of the C Upper section has CSK supporters and when CSK lost a wicket, the only yell would be from me and all the CSK supporters would be looking at me with disgust as I had taken the wicket.  And also its fun to see how your friends react when they hear you shout against them - clenched fists and murmuring lips, anyone will love it.  So yelling back and forth, each time each one showing their delight and happiness when their team scores a boundary or takes a wicket in turn.  It was real fun when all yelled at me when CSK scored a boundary and me yelling at all of them when MI took a wicket.  He who laughs last laughs longer and it was me.  Yes, MI snatched the match right under the very nose of CSK.  And you need not ask about me teasing my colleagues after the match. 

I loved the day and whenever I get the opportunity I would love to go to the stadium to witness the magnificent view of the cricket match.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the experience, hopefully everyone who came with us enjoyed too. I was sad the CSK lost the match but as a cricket fan it was an awesome match. Let us plan another for another match when India is playing here that way we both will be supporting the same team ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean, we would not support the home team???

    ReplyDelete